- accomodation: something that meets someone’s needs
- assent: to agree to a proposal, to go along with an idea
- candid: honest, frank
- compliance: the act of going along with, obeying the wishes, demands, laws
- depository: a place to put something away for safekeeping
- formidable: very strong, demanding, forbidding
- inestimable: invaluable, too great to be counted
- legislature: a law making body of people
- relinquish: to give up
- wholesome: having sound health or well-being.
Rewrite each of the following sentences of the Declaration of Independence in your own words in the text boxes following each line. This web page can be downloaded and saved so that the rewriting can be done in a word processing program, it can be copy and pasted into an e-mail to be shared or filled in and printed off.
9. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.
11. He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.
12. He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
13. He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.